About the Program
The Leadership Johnson County Youth Leadership Academy is a five-month program designed to bring together a select group of Johnson County High School students to learn more about their community and practice leadership skills in a fun learning environment.
Each program day is designed to foster an opportunity for increased self-awareness, a better understanding of the local community and an opportunity to meet and network with peers from across Johnson County. Modeled after the LJC Signature Program, the Youth Leadership Academy will provide students with an extraordinary opportunity for in-depth leadership training from experts around the state.
Youth Leadership Program participants will:
- Network with community leaders and peers.
- Become more adept at emotional intelligence and empathy.
- Practice project management skills through a community project of their own design.
- Participate in the Strengths Finder personality assessment.
- Learn more about Johnson County history and current county government.
- Upon completion of the program, students will earn 1 college credit at Franklin College.
Youth Leadership Academy participants must:
- Attend an opening retreat in early August.
- Attend 4 regularly scheduled class dates
throughout the year with minimal absences.
- Attend and present at the graduation celebration.
- Complete a community service project.
Saturday, August 10 (8 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
Tuesday, September 17 (8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.)
Tuesday, November 19 (8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.)
History / Governance Day
Tuesday, February 18 (8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.)
Planning / Project Management Day
Tuesday, April 21 (8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.)
Diversity / Inclusion Day
Tuesday, April 28 (6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.)
- Applicants must be current High School Sophomores and Juniors or home-schooled equivalent in Johnson County.
- Class members must commit to full participation in the program.
- Class members must agree to abide by all LJC – Youth Leadership Academy policies and procedures.
- Must be a resident of Johnson County.
Application is available online below
- Application is a Google form and must be completed in its entirety. There is not an option to save your work and add additional information. You may make changes to your application after it is submitted but clicking on the response email.
- Applications MUST be typed and submitted on-line. Hand-written applications will not be accepted.
- All applications must be submitted electronically no later than 11:59 p.m., March 15, 2019 to be considered.
- A review committee appointed by the LJC Board of Trustees will select participants based on the COMPLETED application.
- Your selection into the class is based upon your application.
- You are encouraged to be DETAILED and use this opportunity to highlight your passions and achievements.
- The cost to participate in the 2019-2020 Leadership Johnson County Youth Leadership Academy is $400.
- Tuition is due in full by September 4, 2019. There are no refunds after this date.
- A non-refundable deposit of $50.00 is required at the time of acceptance into the program.
- The deposit is included in the full tuition amount.
- Scholarships are available for up to approximately 60 percent of tuition cost. Scholarship applications are available online or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. The scholarship deadline is March 15, 2019.
- Payment plans can be arranged.
- Credit cards are accepted.